Thinking and talking about the ways to fund your care at home or the care of a loved one can sometimes be daunting. Our friendly Care Needs team are always on hand to provide you with the support and advice you need.

The below outlines some further information about the types of funding available from the Local Authority and NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

  • Personal Budgets - The Local Authority allocates a Personal Budget to each person who is eligible, which is given to applicants after a successful assessment. This budget can be paid to you directly by your local authority or you can instruct them to make payments to your care provider on your behalf.
  • Direct Payments - You may qualify for financial help with your care via Direct Payments provided by your local authority. This funding gives you the most control over your care without the process of going through the local authority.
  • Local Authority Funded Care Services - Your local authority may cover some or all of the cost of care in some circumstances, but what it pays depends on what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require. If, for example, the person that is ‘cared for’ has assets of £23,250 or more, they will probably have to fund their own care.

The Money Advice Centre provides free and impartial information on Local Authority funding.

  • Private Payments - If you are not eligible for Local Authority funding then there are several options available to help fund any care privately. In all cases, we will advise that you seek long-term care funding advice from a specialist financial adviser. You may qualify for some level of funding allowances from your local authority or NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
  • Attendance Allowance - This can be claimed by anyone over 65 who is mentally or physically disabled for help with personal care. Current payments are not means tested, are tax free and are usually added to pension payments.
  • Pension Credit - This tops up your weekly pension income if it is below the threshold to provide a guaranteed minimum level of income.
  • Council Tax - You can apply for your Council Tax payments to be reduced; with a formal diagnosis of dementia, Council Tax payments will also be further reduced. Additionally, if a Council Tax single occupancy reduction is being claimed, a live-in Carer will not affect this benefit.
  • Help from Charities and Funds - Some charities may help with funding your Care Services.

Further Reading

We understand that it may sometimes be quite daunting to understand what care services are required to suit you or your loved ones needs.

Care Need’s team of specialists are always on hand to answer any questions you may have; however you may also benefit from the below useful information to put your mind at ease.

Service Guides

Service User Guide - Stockport

Useful Links 


    Get In Touch